Looking for easy argumentative essay topics for college students? Need writing advice how to start this project? In this type of paper, your task is to persuade your potential audience to agree with your arguments so your argumentative essay has to be logical and based on in-depth research. But first, you need a good topic. The best argumentative essay topics are debatable and controversial.
Choosing good argumentative topics takes a lot of time because you need to search the Internet using Google, look through a variety of the latest news, and read popular articles that have a lot of comments from readers who share different points of view, check posts on social media. You need to learn about important topics discussed by lots of people of any age – men and women, young adults and teenagers and pick a topic you care or are passionate about.
Lack great ideas for your argument paper? In this article that is actually a writing guide, you will find a list of 45 best argumentative essay topics to help you get started. We will give you some helpful tips on how to write an effective argumentative paper that will impress your future reader and get you a high grade.
What Makes a Successful Argumentative Essay?
Let’s start with definition argumentative essay. It is a specific type of essay that presents clear arguments about both sides of an issue. You can follow one of the two different approaches: either present both sides equally balanced or present one side more forcefully than the other. The choice depends on the writer.
Some people may confuse argumentative and persuasive essays; you should keep in mind that they are different types of academic papers. In persuasive writings, we use emotions and ethics to persuade readers to accept our point of view on a certain issue; take an action or avoid doing something that can be harmful to them, other people or environment, etc. In this way, we can talk even to a little child. In argumentative writing, we appeal to logic. We try to influence people talking about reasons which caused certain problems, future positive and negative effects, dangerous and beneficial consequences of human activity, potential risks. We convince people to make informed decisions. We appeal to their common sense.
To succeed in completing a convincing piece of writing, you need to investigate a topic using a lot of credible sources; gather and evaluate evidence (statistics, relevant facts about science, proven examples); and, finally, establish an informed position on the topic of your studies in a concise manner. Wondering how you can organize your argument? Let’s discuss the format you should follow to achieve your goals.
Write My Argumentative Paper
How to Structure an Argumentative Essay
Typically, any argumentative essay has a linear structure. It means they present one idea at a time in the order that follows a reader’s logic and makes the most sense to an audience. The structure of any essay is unique in a way it represents the subject, the focus, and the claims the author makes.
What about your college-level argumentative essay? Usually, you should follow this format that includes several parts.
- The introduction that begins with attention grabber, provides background information and introduces the argumentative essay’s thesis
- The main body, presenting your major arguments
- The counter-argument that refutes previous arguments
- The conclusion that restates the thesis, reminds main points and gives some concluding remarks to emphasize the significance of the problem
It’s important to provide appropriate evidence for both sides of the issue, argue your own position, and then present your own conclusion. Why should you address the opposing side’s argument? When doing this, you will be able to accomplish several important goals:
- show that the opinion you express is unbiased
- prove that you have a well-rounded understanding of the essay’s topic
- improve the level of your reader’s trust in your opinion
- strengthen your own argument
Why You Might Need Expert Help
Writing an argumentative essay is a common assignment for high school and college students who often find these academic essays too challenging because they require from children and young people strong analytical and critical thinking skills and the ability to argue on important social and moral issues of today’s complex world.
That is not an easy task. You need to have your own personal position about current problems and support your own opinions with facts from real life. Have problems with expressing your opinion or need advice on how to format your papers? Order a good example of argumentative essay online! You'll receive a paper written by professional writers according to instructions given by your professor.
45 Best Argumentative Essay Topics
Feel tired of researching and overwhelmed with the amount of information? Can’t decide what idea appeals to you? Finding good essay topics that you could discuss effectively and create powerful argumentative essays is a hard work. But don’t worry because there’s an alternative.
Check our list of interesting argumentative essay ideas. They cover a number of argumentative topics that actually reflect different aspects of the life of a contemporary society in the United States and on the global level, including health, education, schools, development of technologies, music, sports and games, family, relationships, etc.
- Why do more and more girls choose technical education and careers in the STEM?
- Are men as emotional as women?
- Is it normal to refuse to serve gay couples because of your religious beliefs?
- How does the beauty industry affect the perception of women's appearance?
- Should the parenting be more gender neutral?
- What does it mean to be a real woman in a contemporary society?
- Is it acceptable for boys to cry?
- Should women be allowed to serve in the army and take part in military campaigns?
- How will the #MeToo movement affect the relationship between a man and a woman?
- Can a woman hold leadership positions?
- Should we apply specific rules to competing transgender athletes?
Music, TV/Movies, Literature and Art
- Do libraries have a chance to survive in the future due to the fast development of digital technologies?
- What was the impact of the reality show 'RuPaul's Drag Race' on gay men and transgender people?
- Do we need so much advertising around?
- Can you name any actor who did not deserve his Oscar?
- Speaking of kids, what books are better for them: paper books or e-books?
- Does speed reading really make you smarter?
- Do you know the real reasons why Banksy wants to remain anonymous?
- What are the reasons for indie music to be so popular among the millennials?
- Do you know the secret of Taylor Swift's popularity?
- How did schizophrenia influence Louis Wain pictures?
- How important is modern art education for developing abilities of children, teenagers, and adults?
Parenting, Children, and Schools
- Is it true that video games with violence make teenagers aggressive?
- Do children need homework in primary school?
- Should children be responsible for keeping their rooms clean and tidy?
- Who should be role models for teenagers?
- Can children under the age of 12 be allowed to watch horror films?
- Why do most children and teenagers want to become video bloggers?
- Should college education be free to all?
- Should parents monitor activities of their children on social media platforms and limit their use?
- Should young children be allowed to compete on a variety of TV shows together with adults?
- Should student athletes get paid by universities?
- Should parents limit their children’s internet time after they come from school?
- Do advancements of modern technologies ruin childhood?
Health, Nutrition, and Beauty
- Should Photoshop be banned in beauty magazines?
- Can GMO food solve the most urgent problems connected with world hunger?
- How can marijuana help cancer patients and other people who suffer from constant pain?
- Should government lower the drinking age?
- Can unvaccinated children be dangerous to other kids in schools and other public places?
- Does homeopathy work for treating diseases or preventing them?
- Should vegetarian parents give their children meat?
- What are the main advantages and disadvantages of 3d printed organs?
- Should assisted suicide be legal, taking into account its pros and cons?
- Should basic health care be free for all citizens?
- Can healthy eating habits help us look younger and live longer?
We hope you like these argumentative essay ideas. If you do, feel free to choose any of these easy argumentative essay topics for college students for writing your own papers to impress your friends and teachers. Can’t find any topics you’re interested in? Check our blog articles for other easy essay topics ideas.
Order Argumentative Essay Now
How to Write Impressive Essays on Argumentative Topics
Writing on argumentative topics on a college level requires extensive research of the existing literature on the subject or previously published material. Be ready to spend many hours or days in the library before you can move to the next stage of the writing process – start working on the outline and put your smart ideas into words. Be prepared to work under pressure. You will need to read a lot of books, textbooks or watch some videos to have a good understanding of your subject and be able to develop a compelling argument.
Quick Tips to Help You Succeed in Writing
Want to achieve a better result when writing? Follow these simple tips that will make your work easier.
- Write a strong introductory paragraph and state a clear and concise thesis. Explain why the problem is important.
- Include logical transitions after each part of your paper to connect the introduction, the body, and the conclusion. Transitions help your reader focus on the topics. They will ensure your readers will be able to follow your argument. In this way, you can keep their interest and encourage them to read further.
- Limit each paragraph to discussing one general idea. You must provide details, facts, examples and explain why your evidence supports the thesis.
- Devote one or two paragraphs of your argumentative paper to the discussion of the conflicting opinions. It will depend on the length of your essay.
- Provide well-researched and detailed evidence to support your thesis and explain other points of view.
- Write a strong conclusion. Your goal is to leave a deep impression on your public. Make your conclusion effective and logical and don’t introduce new information that your reader may not know. Review your main points and the thesis; remind your audience one more time why the issue is important.
- Think about your essay as a conversation or debate. Imagine you are discussing the issue with a group of your classmates or a friend and are trying to convince them that your opinion is true.
- Use 5-paragraph approach as a universal method for writing your paper. What about the longer essays on argumentative topics? If the issue is complex, you will need to write a detailed college essay with a complex structure and discuss plenty of different research sources you have found online and in the library. You will certainly need more than 5 paragraphs.
- When you finish your final draft, check it for logic and proofread it to eliminate possible grammar, punctuation, spelling mistakes, and typos. Read your argumentative essay aloud and ask your friends or parents to help you. Make sure all your citations are formatted properly.
Follow these useful suggestions when writing your college paper on one of the best argumentative essay topics.
Need more advice on completing other types of essays? Check our quick writing guides.If you can’t complete your homework assignments and need some extra assistance, you can contact our professional writing service via phone or email anytime a day and buy an original paper sample written according to your specific requirements. Experienced writers of essay4today.com can provide any student of a high a school, college or a university with quality model papers on different topics that can serve as useful examples for their own projects.
If you're a student of the English 101 class or any similar course, you have most probably faced tons of writing assignments. They drive most students mad. School students feel less pressure than college and university peers. Higher academic levels require higher knowledge and broader set of skills. That is why students from colleges receive more complicated assignments. The topics become more complex.
Usually, the teachers or professors assign the topics on their own. However, sometimes students have a right to pick their own questions for discussion.
An argumentative essay is that type of academic papers which requires three set if skills from each student:
- Research skills
- Reading and writing
When you experience difficulties with at least one of the listed skills, it is better to hire professional assistance from one of that numerous, trusted websites. In any case, try to compose an essay on your own without any help. You may use various examples available on the internet for free.
Remember: argumentative tasks are assigned to maintain debating abilities. This sort of task impacts how well a student will give speeches in public or simply defend his point of view in the future.
How to Choose Negotiable Argumentative Topics Wisely
Many students feel relaxed when their tutors come up with the topic ideas. Still, it is better to have a freedom of choice as far as you can pick the issue which interests you. It is possible to choose an interesting topic from any field of science. While working on the argumentative paper, a student must gather all relevant and time-tested sources to show his awareness of the particular problem. Students should use some of the following credible resources:
- Their class textbooks
- Various published editions
- Academic journals
- Laws and regulations
You may be an expert in the selected area, but always remember to add quotes from the external sources. This way, students prove that they can gather and choose sources with the most quality information on the given topic. Moreover, in-text citations will show your awareness of the different papers formats. Formatting is one of the steps on the way to your desired grade. Whenever you have any doubts concerning the topic to write your argumentative essay on, contact online specialists who are selling cheap custom argumentative essays on any topics in the world. They know how to make your essay stand out from the rest of the papers.
Grab Your Stunning Essay
Top Recommended Argumentative Essay Topics
Simple Argumentative Essay Topics
- The complexity of the US educational system
- The problem of obesity among American population
- Free access to the internet is one of the biggest threats to education
- Men should have a right to make decisions on their own whether to join the war or not
- College curriculum should be changed with respect to students’ preferences
- The advantages of higher education
- Which languages are the most widespread and demanded nowadays?
- Is Spanish really the simplest language to study?
- MBA: pros and cons of studying business
- Can we say about an educational system that it is too commercialized?
- Why are Michigan, SAT, and ACT results important?
Sports Related Subjects
- Are steroids helping or destroying our body?
- PE lessons in the educational system.
- NCAA: advantages and disadvantages
- What is the highest achievement in sport?
- Is Mike Tyson still a superstar?
Argumentative Paper Topics for Young Students
- Is there a strong correlation between regular training, meals, and overall health condition?
- Are diets as effective as they are told?
- The negative consequences of the anorexia fashion.
- Why should people dedicate more time to sleep?
- Is it still cool to play golf?
- Is swimming the only sport that keeps fit all human body muscles?
- Skiing and other risky sports.
- Children should not watch horror films.
College Argumentative Essay Topics
- It is illegal to produce and sell tobacco
- 25 years of prison instead of the death sentence
- Passive smokers suffer more than active
- Can alcohol completely destroy human brain?
- The government should forbid alcohol sales after 10 P.M.
- Are non-alcoholic energetic drinks dangerous?
- Does TV have a right to document every court proceeding?
- When can people start voting?
- The most appropriate age to start smoking or using alcohol.
- Is there justice for social minorities?
- Was the Industrial Revolution spread all over Europe?
Classical Argumentative Ideas
- The government must forbid the usage of species of animals in research
- Government must punish each citizen who does harm to the environment
- Are electric vehicles the best solution the problem of pollution?
- Globalization: for and against
- Why do people say that Wilson actually lost the war?
- The strong aspects of Roosevelt reign
- Was King-Kong right killing humans who came to investigate his land?
- Are the US really under the threat of disappearing from the map?
- The consequences of tornado
- Tsunami and its sacrifices
- How can people protect the nature of Amazonia?
- Are there any true Indians left on the territory of America?
Controversial Argumentative Topics
- How to overcome the risk of the Third World War?
- Is there a chance that financial crisis will stop?
- More schools should become public and free
- Top colleges and universities should raise their acceptance rates
- Everyone has a right to free education
- The right way to implement gun control and other preventing measures
- Same-sex marriages and their impact on the society
- High level of corruption is one of the causes of low wages
- Is there a way to be above the law?
- Communism is not that bad
- Is CIS the best replacement of the USSR?
Technological Argumentative Essay Topics
- Computer games like shooters caused mass murders at the US schools
- Are many modern people lonely due to the existing technology?
- Filthy language on the web
- The age of technologies turns us into zombies
- The usage of smartphones leads to less live communication
- Technology and its influence on educational system
- When will the rapid technological advancement stop?
Argumentative Essay Related to Social Media
- Is technology restricting human imagination?
- Threats of having accounts in social networks like Facebook
- The modern world depends on the Internet heavily
- Can virtual relationships exist?
- Is online censorship critical for the Internet users?
Fifth & Sixth Grade Argumentative Essay
- Healthcare: any treatment must be free
- People are all kind by their nature
- The working hours must be reduced to let people dedicate more time to their families
- The wages should go up in the United States
- Governments must invest more in the social movements
- Parents cannot interrupt too much in the lives of their kids
- Spy applications do really work
- Cloning is not legal
- Every woman has a right to decide on her own regarding abortion
- Is it OK for a woman to date a much younger man?
- Cross-cultural marriages positively impact the racial tolerance
- Global warming (Just download the sample you need for free!)
- Are abortions legal?
- Is online dating safe enough?
Humorous & Joking Argument Topics
- Would Superman find his place in a real world?
- Why do Ninja Turtles love pizza?
- Who should portray April in TNMT movie?
- 2D, 3D, 4D, 5D: When Will It Ever Stop?
- Can the chip fully control our brains and actions?
- The jokes of Peter Griffin make Family Guy the best TV show ever
- Why are humans in Simpsons yellow?
- Marijuana does no real harm to human health
- How to make parents softer with their children?
Music + Art + Cinematography Argumentative Essay Topics
- Can you earn enough money on art?
- Music and films are better than painting
- Which type of art is the most popular in Europe?
- Can you earn sufficient amount of money being an artist?
- Are today's lyrics making any sense?
- Heavy metal makes more sense than hip-hop
- Modern movies are worse than they used to be in the middle of 20th century
- Kurt Cobain did not kill himself
Download More Argumentative Paper Examples Online
Helpful Tips & Common Features of the Good Topic Ideas
If you want every reader to enjoy your writing and make it to the end, here is what you should do:
- Select an idea that everybody is talking about today. Consider rumors, facts, interesting stories, etc.
- Pick a problem which makes the majority of people have doubts.
- Try to select the audience which denies your point of view.
- Choose the topic on which everybody has a unique thought.
- Come up with a topic which relates to your own
We Have Collected the Most Useful Hints and Prompts Based on the Successful Argumentative Essays:
- Avoid choosing obvious argumentative essay topics!
- Never pick an issue that does not have any arguments. Ignore topics that are too trivial.
- A persuasive paper has to concentrate on the problem discussed by centuries. It may even lead to the international conflicts, but people will go on discussing it.
- Issues connected with the politics (e.g. US government or elections) are always great.
- Feel free to pick the topic associated with the modern college standards that do annoy most of the students. It may stimulate your peers to argue with your tutors, but that is what argumentative essay is all about!
- Avoid topics that people usually agree on without any hesitations.
- Try not to choose any topics related to the sensitive aspects of our life such as religion, gender, nationality, etc.
- Follow MLA or APA format as there are many examples on the web.
- Always pay attention to what other people say about your chosen theme.
You may notice that the process is almost always the same. The main purpose is to select the most inspiring argumentative essay topics to have an impact you expect. The goal is to satisfy your target audience, no matter whether it's your teacher or classmates. Pretend that you compete to receive the highest award in some contest. Here, A grade is your most wanted prize. Each time you demand quick assistance with your task, contact online expert writing service which can prepare an argumentative essay on the topic you like. They will do it pretty fast.
What about the Structure?
Every academic paper has its own structure. The argumentative essay involves the following stages:
- Broad primary and secondary research
- Collecting sources
- Choosing the most trusted and latest sources
- Preparing a draft
- Writing your paper
- Proofreading & Editing
- Double-checking all mistakes
As for the organization of the final essay, it is recommended to use a 5-paragraph structure. Develop an outline and keep to it. Your unique ideas must flow in this way:
- Introduction. Include some interesting facts, add a quote, joke, or find another way to attract the reader from the very beginning. Then, create a powerful thesis statement.
- First body paragraph. Begin with your argument number one. Don't forget about in-text citations to support your argument. Add evidence to sound persuasive.
- Second body paragraph. Write down your argument number two. Don't forget about in-text citations to support your argument. Add evidence to sound persuasive.
- Third body paragraph. Write down your argument number three. Don't forget about in-text citations to support your argument. Add evidence to sound persuasive.
- Conclusion. It is the last paragraph of your entire essay. Restate your thesis which is the last sentence of your introduction. Prepare a brief review of the main points. Add Call-to-Action in the last sentence.
- Bibliography. List all of the applied sources.
Is't it easy to choose, prepare a draft, write, and proofread? Save your best argumentative essays to use them in your future career.
When you have no wish to work on your argumentative paper or any other academic assignments, keep in mind that there are professional online writers capable of completing the task of any difficulty level. They are 24/7 available to help the students of the English-speaking world with their academic troubles. Raise your performance and productivity by ordering an exclusive argumentative paper from the top US and UK writers!
In need of professional academic backing? – Look no further!