Aarushi Case Study

Nupur and Rajesh Talwar faced incarceration for four years before getting acquitted by the Allahabad High Court. The dentist couple finally broke their silence in an interview to Hotstar about the ordeal that they faced after the 2008 Noida double murder case of Aarushi Talwar and Hemraj Banjade.

The murders took place in May 2008 when Nupur and Rajesh's 13-year-old daughter, Aarushi, and their live-in domestic help of many years, Hemraj, were found murdered in Noida.

File image of dentist-couple Nupur Talwar and Rajesh Talwar. PTI

After the countless books, films and endless media coverage, the duo said it was "scary" for them to settle back into society following their acquittal on 12 October 2017. "It’s scary to face people, to face the world, to go back into the world, into society…It’s something which you have to slowly learn," Rajesh Talwar said about their return to normalcy.

The couple also talks about how the public perception changed after they were back from prison. But that didn't mean that it was easy for the Talwars. Nupur Talwar spoke of a "dark age" for two years, that persisted after their bail was rejected in 2012. Things were even more difficult after a CBI special court held them guilty of murdering their daughter. "Confinement is not an easy thing to face…losing your freedom, facing a stigma and suddenly being put behind bars," Rajesh said. The couple conducted dental work in the clinic in the prison as a way of serving people and enduring the four years of incarceration.

The investigation aside, coping with the tragedy of losing their only daughter was another ordeal for the grief-stricken parents. "It was a very emotional moment for us. We were thinking of and missing Aarushi. That’s one tragedy we can’t push past," Nupur said about how Aarushi was in their thoughts after the acquittal. "Losing Aarushi has been, and will always be completely irreparable, inconsolable," Rajesh said. "The worst suffering that any human can go through is to lose your child, and that too in such a manner," he added.

When asked if the system had failed them, the duo said that "it is something that is clear to everybody." When further asked if there was a bias in the investigation, Rajesh said: "Everything is on paper, I don’t really need to say anything about it." When asked about the murder of Hemraj, they said that they had wanted to help the family, but they didn’t get any kind of response.

Watch Unsolved Aarushi Murder: The Talwars Break Their Silence here




Published Date: Oct 29, 2017 10:12 AM | Updated Date: Oct 29, 2017 10:11 AM

Tags :#2008 Noida Double Murder Case#Aarushi Talwar#Allahabad High Court#Hemraj#Hotstar#Nupur Talwar#Rajesh Talwar#TheySaidIt


Aarushi Talwar, 14, was found dead with her throat slit in her bedroom in flat no. L-32 Jalvayu Vihar in Noida on the morning of May 16, 2008. Hemraj, family’s domestic help is suspected of the murder.

Hemraj was found in a pool of blood on the terrace of the flat on May 17. The door of the terrace was found locked from inside.

May 18: Noida police says the twin murders were done with surgical precision, insider job suspected.

May 19: Former domestic help Vishnu Sharma named suspected.

May 21: Delhi police joins the probe.

May 22: Police suspects it to be a case of honour killing. Police speaks to Aarushi’s friend. Her parents are suspected.

May 23: Rajesh Talwar, Aarushi's father, arrested for double murders.

June 1: CBI takes over the case from Noida police.

June 13: Krishna, a domestic help of Talwar’s arrested.

June 20: Lie detection test of Rajesh Talwar conducted.

June 25: Second lie detection test done on Nupur Talwar, Aarushi's mother, as the first test was found inconclusive.

June 26: CBI claims it to be a “blind case”. Bail appeal refused for Rajesh Talwar by Ghaziabad magistrate.

July 12: Rajesh Talwar gets bail.


February: Narco-analysis tests on Rajesh Talwar was done between February 15 to February 20. 

December 29: CBI team files a closure report citing “insufficient evidence.”  Servants get clean chit and Talwars remain prime suspects.


January 25: Rajesh Talwar suffers grievous injuries following an attack by one Utsav Sharma on the Special CBI court premises in Ghaziabad.

Feb 9 Trial court rejects CBI's closure report and summons Aarushi’s parents to face charges of murders.

February 21: Talwars approach Allahabad High Court for quashing trial court summons.

March 18:  Allahabad HC dismisses the plea.

March 19: The couple approaches the Supreme Court.


January 09: Supreme Court says the bail granted to Rajesh Talwar by the lower court in the ‘Aarushi murder case' would continue and that he should appear before the Ghaziabad Magistrate on February 4 to face trial along with his wife, Nupur Talwar.


The couple are convicted for the double-murder and sentenced to life imprisonment by a special Central Bureau of Investigation court in Ghaziabad in November 2013.


October 12: The Allahabad High Court acquits the dentist couple Rajesh and Nupur Talwar giving them the benefit of doubt.

0 Thoughts to “Aarushi Case Study

Leave a comment

L'indirizzo email non verrà pubblicato. I campi obbligatori sono contrassegnati *