My grandfather Peter served in the Navy during the Vietnam War. He was stationed in San Diego, and was lucky enough to have seen the world as a result. However, during his tour, he was exposed to the herbicide Agent Orange. At the time, the use of Agent Orange was a crucial tactic to help the United States in the war effort. Later, however, it was discovered to cause serious, and sometimes deadly, health effects to those exposed for long durations. My grandpa turned out to be one of those people. He contracted lymphoma from his exposure to the chemical and suffered years of health issues before his passing. I was lucky enough to havegrown up visiting his farm in the summer, but he left our family much too young. He won’t be there to see me graduate high school or college. He won’t be able to see his great-grandchildren. While this experience was hard on our family, I resolved to help in others in someway, maybe giving other families more time together that I did not have, through my abilities in science, specifically chemistry and physics.
Twenty Foot Locker Scholar Athletes will each receive $20,000 in college scholarship money for their excellence in school, on their sports teams, and in their communities.
The scholarship will be awarded in four equal annual payments of $5,000 throughout the winner's four-year college career.
In addition to the $20,000 Foot Locker Scholar Athletes scholarship, one of our 20 winners will also be selected for the Ken C. Hicks scholarship for demonstrating superior educational achievement, outstanding leadership, and a true love of the game. This winner will receive an additional $5000 award (for a total of $25,000). This student will receive their scholarship in four yearly installments, each of $6,250.
In order to be eligible for the Foot Locker Scholar Athletes program, the applicant must:
- Be a current high school senior entering a four-year, accredited US college or university in the Fall of 2018
- Be currently a member (in good standing) of a high school sports team or be involved in after-school sports (e.g. intramurals, martial arts, etc.)
- Have maintained an unweighted GPA of 3.0 or higher from ninth grade to first semester of 12th grade
- Be a U.S. citizen or US Permanent Legal Resident
- Foot Locker employees and their immediate family members are ineligible